Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Momentary Melancholy

I feel the blue-sky honeymoon shrinking away beneath the heavy Summer clouds; a winter chill creeps prematurely into my bones, into my homesick heart. The quaint streets become foreboding as stress and uncertainty pile up on the sleepy arc of my spine. The slick cobblestones feel heavy and strange.

I wonder if this caffeine heartbeat and timid smile will be enough to prop up my toothpick bones against the sudden influx of impassive faces, eyes as green and silent as cats'. I am enveloped in uncertain skin each night and sleep to the rhythm of my own questions; they echo down the tiled hallways as shape-shifting Spanglish invades my dreams with it's awkward, imbalanced gait.



3 comments:

  1. Great lines. Great feeling in this. I made the mistake of reading it to Grandma. Now she wants you to come home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw,I intentionally called it "momentary" to try and avoid giving the impression that I'm not having a great experience! I do not for one moment regret coming here, but we all have tough days. Being overwhelmed with newness takes a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete